The AFA Annual Meeting is the hallmark professional development event that brings together a portfolio of programs and experiences designed to enhance and maximize the competency, skills, talents, and overall effectiveness for the success of members and those in the field of fraternity/sorority life. The 2023 AFA Annual Meeting will take place in-person Tuesday, November 28 through Friday, December 1 at the Tampa Marriott Water Street Collection in Tampa, FL. Please see below for current details about the 2023 AFA Annual Meeting. If you don’t see your question answered, contact us.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
1. When and how much is registration? What are the policies associated with registration?
The cost and deadlines associated with individual registration can be found here. This page also includes information about open invoice/no-shows/cancellations.
2. What does individual registration include?
- First-Timer Connections Kickoff
- Umbrella Group Roundtables and Updates
- Two General Sessions (including one keynote and a panel) – Announcements Coming Soon!
- In-Person Educational Programming, Deep Dives, Educational Intensives, and Research Symposium
- Hot Topic and Trends Roundtables
- Regional Meetings
- The Exchange Lounge
- Welcome Reception
- Toast to Awards Winners and Celebration Dinner
You’ll also have the opportunity to add the following extras on to your registration, such as:
- Pre-Conference Programming
- Off-Site Excursions
3. Are scholarships available?
Yes! The AFA Foundation and generous donors continue to provide a significant number of scholarships. The deadline for applications for the 2023 Annual Meeting was Friday, June 30. Look back for information regarding scholarships for the 2024 Annual Meeting in Spring 2024!
4. What is the official hotel of the 2023 AFA Annual Meeting?
The official 2023 AFA Annual Meeting hotels (yes, there are two!) are the JW Marriott Tampa Water Street and the Tampa Marriott Water Street in downtown Tampa!
5. What is the hotel block rate?
The rates are:
- $209 per night for single, double, triple, and quad occupancy at the Tampa Marriott Water Street
- $239 per night for single, double, triple, and quad occupancy at the JW Tampa Marriott Water Street
All rooms must be reserved no later than 5:00 p.m. ET on Monday, November 6 to receive these rates. Once the hotel room block closes, these rates will not be available.
6. When can I reserve my hotel room?
Right now! Make your reservation by 5:00 pm ET on Monday, November 6. Please note: the room block is sold out for Tuesday, November 28 and Wednesday, November 29 as of Friday, November 3. You may still reserve rooms in the conference hotels for Monday, November 27, Thursday, November 30, and Friday, December 1. If you attempt to book a room outside of the block’s dates, you may receive an error message. Note: All reservations will require a credit card or a deposit for one (1) room night.
If you’ve already made a reservation and need to make edits, you can do it from this link as well.
Need a hotel room for the full time of the Annual Meeting? If you are planning on attending the conference and have not secured or are unable to secure a hotel reservation through the official room block, search for hotel availability via our trusted partner aRes Travel. Book online or call 1-800-559-3186 for assistance | International callers 1-619-546-5773
aRes Travel is a third-party travel planner. Rates, deposits, and cancellation policies may vary and are the responsibility of the guest. Questions on hotel policies or payments made on aRes website should be directed to the aRes Reservation Center or to the hotel directly.
7. Will transportation to and from the airport/hotel be provided?
The hotels do not provide transportation to and from the airport. The hotels are about 15 minutes from Tampa International Airport. Ground transportation options to and from the airport include taxis, city bus service, and ride shares. Find more information about these options.
If you would like to consider taking the train, Tampa’s Union Station includes an Amtrak service and is less than 10 minutes away from the hotels. Find information about the station.
8. What is the closest airport to the JW Marriott Tampa Water Street and the Tampa Marriott Water Street?
Tampa International Airport (TPA) is the closest, located 9 miles away from the hotels.
St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport is located 22 miles from the hotels.
9. What if I’m traveling by train?
The closest train station is Tampa Union Station, located in downtown Tampa less than 10 minutes away from the hotel.
10. What if I’m driving to the AFA Annual Meeting – where do I park and what are the fees?
The Tampa Marriott Water Street Collection does not have self-parking. The daily valet rate associated with parking is $38.
Off-Site Parking is available .2 miles away at the Pam Iorio Parking Garage (right behind the JW Marriott).
11. How can I participate in the AFA Foundation Silent Auction?
Bid high, bid early, and bid often at the AFA Foundation Silent Auction! This is the premier fundraising event held throughout the Annual Meeting, and donations from AFA members are what make the AFA Foundation Silent Auction such a huge success. This year, we will host the Silent Auction from Wednesday, November 29 through Friday, December 1.
The AFA Foundation will begin accepting donations soon! Look out for information in the AFA Update. If you have any questions, please contact Lindsey Hollis, AFA Fundraising Chair.