The Graduate Staff is an essential part of the staffing model for the AFA Annual Meeting (#AFAAM).
The Graduate Staff is an essential part of the staffing model for the Annual Meeting. Graduate Staff members will provide much of the onsite support to the Central Office Staff, the Annual Meeting Planning Team, and other Annual Meeting volunteers in delivering an excellent experience for attendees. This experience provides up-and-coming higher education professionals with an opportunity to understand conference planning and logistics while offering a unique glimpse into the operations of the Association. Graduate Staff members will network with current professionals in the field while delivering excellent customer service and helping to bring the Annual Meeting experience to life. While graduate staff members may not be able to attend educational programs (as a majority of their time will be devoted to working as meeting staff), opportunities for professional development will be offered throughout the training experience. Looking for the application? Please read all the below information to access the link.
Graduate Staff responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing front line customer service to attendees
- Greeting and directing conference attendees
- Setting up and monitoring technology related to the virtual meeting experience
- Assisting in opening/closing educational programs and conference evaluations
- Helping with the operations and troubleshooting of the AFA Annual Meeting hybrid format
- Supporting special events, silent auction, awards, and exhibitors
- Distributing Annual Meeting communication as appropriate
- Serving as ambassadors for AFA during the meeting
- Attending training and daily staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned
The benefits are extraordinary and continue after the Annual Meeting. Graduate Staff members will:
- Learn about conference management and execution, particularly in a hybrid meeting model
- Gain valuable professional development resources for work in fraternity/sorority life and higher education
- Meet colleagues and prospective employers from all over the nation
- Connect and form a strong support system with fellow graduate students
- Interact with a variety campus-based professionals and inter/national officers, volunteers, and staff members
- Have a resume critiqued by AFA professionals, learn job search strategies, and get special access to some AFA Graduate Student Programs
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at AFA’s operations, services, and programs
- Gain a positive and high profile volunteer experience with AFA
To be eligible to serve on the Annual Meeting Graduate Staff an individual must:
- Be a Graduate Member of AFA with a completed Annual Meeting registration (registration discount code will be provided)
NOTE: Failure to become a member of the Association by Friday, September 15, 2023 and register for the Annual Meeting on-time could result in the position being offered to the next qualified candidate.
- Be in their final year of their master’s program (second year in a two-year program or any student in a one-year program)
- Wear professional attire and demonstrate professionalism throughout the Annual Meeting
- Understand they cannot participate in some graduate student programs taking place during the Annual Meeting
- Notify the Graduate Staff Volunteer chair by the application deadline if they have applied to present educational programs through the Call for Programs.
Training will begin with three virtual sessions starting in September of 2023. Onsite training will begin on Sunday, November 26, 2023. Please note:
- Graduate staff members should arrive at the JW Marriott in Tampa by 2:00 PM ET.
- All graduate staff members are required to participate in the full training.
- Meals provided will include dinner on Sunday, November 26, and breakfast, lunch, and dinner beginning Tuesday, November 27 through the Annual Meeting (with the exception of dinner on Thursday, November 30).
- The Welcome Reception and Closing Banquet are included as well.
In return for Graduate Staff service, AFA will cover the following costs:
- One complimentary Graduate Student Annual Meeting registration and costs of some graduate student programs.
- Hotel room for November 26 – December 1, 2023. Note: the room will be shared with another Graduate Staff member.
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCESS
Applications have closed for the 2023 Graduate Staff (they were due Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PT). Please note:
- No late applications will be accepted. No exceptions.
- Applicant’s supervisors will be sent a link and must complete a form acknowledging they understand the time commitment and providing a recommendation for the role.
- Following an initial review of applications, the committee will make a recommendation to the Graduate Staff Volunteer Chair, who with the AFA Central Office, will make final decisions and offers.
- The AFA Central Office reserves the right to conduct reference checks and/or phone interviews to complete the selection process.
- All candidates will be contacted by Friday, August 4, regarding their selection status.
- If accepted, you must be a dues-paying member of the Association for the 2023-2024 membership year no later than Friday, September 1, 2023.
If you have any additional questions, please contact our Graduate Staff Volunteer Coordinator, Kari Murphy.